Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Quitting Smoking

Now that I am going through the insanely miserable process of quitting, I find myself wondering why the heck I ever started.

I remember exactly when I started. I was a senior in HS and my grandmother died in Mass. My mother and Aunt left the night she passed, and the next day my sister, cousins and I followed them up from NY. Us 6 grandkids all shared one hotel room and the day after we got to Mass there was a terrible ice storm that kept us stuck in the hotel much of the day. Well, my cousins were smokers and it just sort of happened. It was a way to deal with things.

For the longest time I could smoke for a week or two and stop for a month and so on and so forth. Then college started, I got a job and spent entirely too much time in the car. The next thing you know, 8 years have gone by.

It's been two days since I have smoked. I felt very bad for my coworkers today because I was so moody and I knew I was being moody. I tried to stay quiet but heaven help me my patients are trying people.. And some of my coworkers too.

It will be worth it in the end. The respiratory therapists I work with have had a few good suggestions and have backed up what Dr. Kaul told me about it taking 2-3 weeks for the charboxyhemoglobin to show I haven't been smoking. I was hoping my doctor was exagerating, but oh well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment