Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Why didn't someone warn me?

I really wished someone had expressed how exhausted you are after having surgery even once the pain goes away.



Maybe it is just because it is my first week back at work... But I'm so exhausted it literally made me cry. At the support groups they just talk about the good stuff.

I really wish someone would just be honest with you. I'd still choose to do the surgery, nothing I've been through thus far would make me change my mind- but it would have been nice to have been better prepared.

The doctor assures me that this is normal. Even though it was a laproscopic (sp?) surgery it was still a major surgery. Thanks doc I never would have figured that out without you telling me. So when does it get better?!?!?!
Good news is he did tell me I can try taking my regular calcium again and get rid of those terrible options for chewable.

My scars are also healing very nicely, I am very pleased with them and the doctors reaction pleased me even more. He is impressed with them as well... Almost surprised he didn't ask to take pictures lol. He also said I am ahead of schedule for weight loss. Today is day 17 and I am down 27 pounds from the day I came home from surgery.

I'm happy- but tired... Oh so tired... In fact, I'm going to bed now.

Sweet dreams all!

5 comments:

tz said...

nice blog, I'm looking forward to following you on this journey. I also hope you get your energy back soon, but thank you for that post, you're right, its probably not discussed a lot, the good news is probably that people forget about it because it may be fleeting, one can only hope :D Hang in there.

Sheila said...

Well, yeah, you just had major surgery. Sorry if it seems like no one talks about the bad stuff. I guess the reality is that if I had to walk through the most amazing pile of doodoo and have it stink to high heaven, but could get to the other side and lose the weight AND keep it off, I would do it.

Be prepared to continue to be exhausted. BUT it DOES get better. And you will start feeling like yourself again and then you will overdo it one day and be reminded that YEP you are still healing and you need to slow down.

My best advice for exhaustion: nap or some type of extra sleep. I know I know that sometimes is hard to do but it really was the only thing that I found that actually helped. Listen to your body and take care of yourself. You should be feeling better soon and all the hard stuff will seem like a far off distant memory. Hang in there!

Danielle Elizabeth said...

Sheila, I would totally do it all again in a heart beat too. Walk on glass, swallow fire... Whatever, I'd do it! I just wish I had been a little bit more prepared is all. It is an amazing blessing in my life!

I do seem to have more energy today. I'm wondering if that is because last night for dinner and today for lunch I managed to get all my protein in for the first time! Or the gym? Or both?

Still taking it easy!

Thank you for your kind words :)

Danielle Elizabeth said...

TZ- I'm 100% positive it is a fleeting condition, but when you are feeling so physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted sometimes ya just need to vent.

It means a lot that there are strangers out there who care enough to read about my troubles and makes me feel much better.

Linda Sherwood said...

I was really tired when I went back to work too; it happened 3 weeks after my surgery. It was only a week or two before I was feeling much more energetic.

I haven't had a lot of downsides with my surgery. I am about 5 months out, and my scars are looking awesome. Some are so tiny they don't even look like scars anymore. My biggest one is about half the size it once was.

I have been on vacation, and I have been bad about taking my vitamins and getting my water in. I need to make sure that I don't slack during vacations in the future.

Post a Comment